Frequently Asked Questions

RVRSA Questions:

What does it cost to treat sewage (cost per thousand gallons)?

The cost to treat wastewater depends on the type and the amount of wastewater. RVRSA initially charges each town, individually, for the amount of gallonage used and treated by the use of meter readings. There are meters (meter chambers) located throughout the RVRSA Service Area. From that point on, the town/municipalities are responsible for the billing of each individual residence and business for the treatment of wastes. For information on what your area bills you feel free to call your local sewer or water departments or in some cases, you can easily find these things on the web. Please refer to our “Related Links” section for each individual’s municipality website for more details.

What type of sewage do you treat?

RVRSA treats a variety of wastes from households, to business and industrial facilities, to commercial establishments. These wastes are considered sanitary wastes. Storm water runoff from streets, land and roofs of buildings are collected separately in storm sewers. RVRSA does not except this form of waste water and storm water runoff is sent directly into the river and streams.

What towns do you serve?

RVRSA services nine towns: (1) Town of Boonton, (2) Township of Boonton, (3) Township of Denville, (4) Borough of Rockaway, (5) Township of Rockaway, (6) Town of Dover, (7) Township of Randolph, (8) Victory Gardens, and (9) Borough of Wharton; one customer: Mine Hill; and one federal facility: Picatinny Arsenal.

How many gallons per day are treated?

RVRSA is designed to treat 12 million gallons per day (MGD) of wastewater. Currently RVRSA successfully treats an average of 10 – 11 million gallons per day (MGD).

When do I need an Ownership Disclosure Statement?

You will need an Ownership Disclosure Statement if you are requesting an approval from the Board of the RVRSA for:

  • Treatment Works Approval (TWA) endorsement request, WQM-003 for sewer main extensions; or
  • For an Industrial Sewer Connection Permit (ISCP) under the Industrial Pretreatment Program; or
  • For Time Extension Request to renew the NJDEP issued TWA permit; or
  • Wetlands Waiver / Mapping Revision requests for Environmentally Sensitive Areas (ESA).
Click here to download the Ownership Disclosure Statement Form

I am having a problem with my sewer system (clog, no service) what steps do I take in order to correct the problem?

Contact your local sewer department in the town that you reside in. Please see the “Related Links” section for each municipality served by RVRSA to better assist you.

I am looking to connect to the sewer system, what are the proper steps needed to connect?

Please see our Service Rules for more details or contact our offices.

IPP Questions:

Why are Industries regulated in the RVRSA Service Area?

Industries are regulated as a requirement of federal and state environmental laws and regulations (an example, “The Clean Water Act”). It is important to regulated industries since the RVRSA treatment plant is designed to treat DOMESTIC sewerage only, not INDUSTRIAL. And since there are many industries scattered throughout the RVRSA service area who discharge into our treatment system, it is important that they are regulated to insure these industries do not improperly dispose of any industrial waste into our sewer system, which may cause a problem to our treatment plant and its ability to properly treat wastes.  Industrial wastewaters may also threaten public health and safety if they are not properly maintained and permitted. Please refer to the “Industrial Pretreatment Program – An Overview” for more details.

How are Industrial Users monitored and charged?

Industrial Users are permitted by an Industrial Sewer Connection Permit. Depending on the size, wastewater discharge amount and type of production at the facility determines how the industry is regulated (Categorical Industrial User (CIU), Significant Industrial User (SIU) or User of Concern). Industries are monitored by inspections and sampling at the location, a minimum of once per calendar year. Industrial users are charged the rate set forth by the municipality in which they reside. Any additional charges that an industry may face are the annual permit fee ($2,000.00) and any surcharges (from BOD, TSS, and Ammonia-N discharges found to be over the permitted domestic sewerage allowable limits) that may occur.
How does RVRSA determine who is an Industrial User?

Industries are asked to fill out a standard “Industrial Survey Questionnaire”. From the information gathered on this form we can determine whether or not this facility will need to be permitted in order to discharge into the RVRSA sewer system. If the facility is found to be an industrial user they will then be asked to fill out a Baseline Monitoring Report form and then an Industrial Sewer Connection Permit application. 

Are certain household chemicals considered an Industrial Waste?

No, certain household chemicals are not considered an industrial waste, but they can be considered harmful to the sewer system and treatment plant. Household chemicals such as: used motor oil, antifreeze, gasoline, paints and stains, photo chemicals, pool chemicals, thinners and solvents, liquid mercury, and any other liquid chemicals which are considered “toxic and/or harmful” to the environment should NEVER be poured down any drains and/or dumped in manholes. While it is more convenient to pour such liquids down drains, it is ILLEGAL and can cause harm not only to the treatment plants collection system and the treatment plant it self – but can create explosive or harmful atmospheres which can lead to health and safety issues through out the community. Contact your local health department or department of public works for assistance on how to properly dispose such “hazardous” household chemicals. The Morris County MUA also offers many solutions on how to dispose these chemicals properly. Feel free to check out their informative website for more details. ( 

How many industrial users are in the RVRSA Service area?

RVRSA currently regulates 20 industries. Three (3) of which are Categorical (have federal regulations), 5 Significant (discharge gallonage of over 100,000 gallons per day) and 12 Users of Concern.

Safety Questions:

What types of chemicals are used at the facility?

We use a 15% Sodium Hypochlorite solution to disinfect the wastewater, similar to what one would sue to prepare a swimming pool for the season. We also use Sodium Bisulfite after the Sodium Hypochlorite to bring the chlorination level down to an acceptable level for the water to enter the Rockaway River. 

Are any of these harmful to my family?

No, the chemicals are injected right into the water so therefore none of the chemicals used will come in contact with the air or soil.
What happens in the case of spill?

These two major chemicals are stored in OSHA approved storage tanks surrounded by containment walls. These containment walls are calculated to be at the height necessary to contain the amount of liquid in the tanks.

Where can I obtain a copy of the list of chemicals used at the facility?

The RVRSA files a Right-To-Know survey annually with the appropriate state and county agencies, as well as with the local Emergency Management unit.